Banská Štiavnica – Slovakia

In the 18th century, Banská Štiavnica was the third largest city in the Hungarian Empire. However, beginning in the 19th century, mining activity began to decline. The issue of unemployment could not be resolved, even with the newly-built textile and tobacco plants. In 1918, the Academy of Mining and Forestry relocated to Hungary, and in the 1950s, the city lost its status of district capital.

After 1989, the city once again appeared on the public stage. In 1993, it acquired the highest international honour when it was the first Slovak city registered on the UNESCO World, Cultural, and Natural Heritage List. The Council of Europe provided the city with a technical assistance project, the first in Eastern Europe. Banská Štiavnica regained the status of district capital, and universities gradually begin returning to the city. In 2000 Banská Štiavnica was successful twice in a worldwide environmental competition entitled, Nations in Bloom, known to the public as the “Green Oscars.”

Mutual long-term friendly relations between the city of Moravská Třebová and the Slovak city of Banská Štiavnica has culminated in an international partnership. Declarations between the cities were signed once again by Mayor Miloš Izák and Banská Štiavnica Deputy Mayor Marián Zimmermann on 15 April 2016. The cities’ collaboration was also reflected in the mutual visits of official city representatives, students and artists from both countries. Theatre artist performances and art exhibits of local artists have elicited enthusiasm from the residents of both countries.

Some of the most important regular activities include: Slovak Culture Days, regular meetings of representatives of the cities, the Salamander Festival, and Live Chess held in Banská Štiavnica, the Bishop’s Goblet festival held in Biskupice and international hockey matches between the partner cities.


www.banskastiavnica.sk

Created 24.9.2007 11:59:20 - updated 27.9.2013 9:33:54 | read 1653x | ernest